Visitors Driving in Alberta

New Permanent Resident to Alberta?

People who have recently moved into Alberta may use a valid operator's licence from outside Alberta for the first three months of their residency. You must, however, apply for your Alberta operator's licence within that three-month time frame. It is illegal to hold two valid operator's licences.

For more information, click here: New Canadian and Alberta Residents.

New residents needing a licence should check with any Registry Agent.


Visitors and Students?

Tourists are permitted to use their valid licence for up to 12 months while they are visiting. Students may use their valid home licence while they are studying full-time in the province.

For more information, click here: Visitors, Students and Temporary Foreign Workers in Alberta.


Bringing Vehicles into Alberta

People planning on moving to Alberta or thinking of purchasing a vehicle out of province should be aware of the rules. Any motor vehicle last registered in another jurisdiction will require a safety inspection before it can be registered in Alberta. This ensures that written-off vehicles from out of province are quickly identified and inspected for their roadworthiness. For more information, click here: Vehicle Inspection Program.


Last Updated June 12, 2016