Distracted Driver Law in effect as of September 1, 2011.
Drivers are restricted from:
- using hand-held cell phones
- texting or e-mailing
- using electronic devices like laptop computers, video games, cameras,
video entertainment displays and programming
- portable audio players (e.g., MP3 players)
- entering information on GPS units
- reading printed materials in the vehicle
- writing, printing or sketching
- personal grooming
This complements the current driving without due care and attention legislation and applies to all vehicles as defined by the Traffic Safety Act, including bicycles.
It applies to all roads in both urban and rural areas of the province. The fine for this offence is $172.
For more information, click here: Distracted Driving Legislation.
Last Updated April 01, 2014